Our Patent and Trademark Lawyers In Washington Can Help You With All Your Patent Matters

An “assignment” is the legal document that is used when a patent owner or deceased patentee wishes to relinquish their rights to someone else. If you are an inventor and want to either sell or transfer a patent or patent application that is in your name to someone else, you can do this by obtaining an assignment. When an assignment is properly executed, the new owner:

  • Receives all rights from the existing owner.
  • The new assignee becomes the new owner of the patent and holds the same rights as did the original owner.

There is a process a patentee must go through in order to obtain an assignment and our patent and trademark lawyers in Washington can help you get this accomplished.


How can I conduct a patent assignment search?

The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPOTO) is responsible for handling almost everything when it comes to a patent. They provide you with various resources regarding both a patent and trademark and is the department you need to go through if you are looking to either obtain a patent or obtain an assignment. If you need to conduct a patent assignment search, you can use the USPTO’s online system to do so.

In order to look up a patent assignment, you are going to need one of the following pieces of information:

  • Reel/frame number
  • Patent number
  • Application number
  • Publication number
  • PCT number
  • International reg. number
  • Assignor name
  • Assignee name
  • Correspondent name

If you come across an issue or have a question, you can contact the Assignment Recordation Branch at 571-272-3350 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.


What else is the USPTO responsible for doing?

The USPTO has many jobs including keeping record of all assignment documents and any documents that would affect the title of a patent. Some documents that could affect a title include:

  • Mergers
  • Changes of names
  • Security agreements
  • Various liens
  • Licenses
  • Probate documents
  • Bankruptcy petitions

This means that they keep a thorough record of when this information is submitted or updated.

Aside from allowing you to conduct an assignment search or getting you an assignment for your patent, the USPTO is where you need to file your patent or trademark application through if you are looking to do so.

Understanding what it takes to obtain a patent and how to do it isn’t exactly simple. There are many requirements you must meet and there are things you must understand to ensure you are complying with all of what the USPTO asks of you when submitting a patent or trademark application. Therefore, to ensure all your questions and concerns are addressed properly, give us a call here at USAttorneys.com and our lawyers will be glad to assist you.

Patent applications take several months to get processed so you don’t want to risk making a mistake. If someone has infringed on your patented product and you wish to take legal action, our patent attorneys in Washington can help with this as well.